Tuesday, September 15, 2015

I see / I think / I wonder

Today we introduced a visible thinking routine called See / Think / Wonder. This tool will be used throughout our next unit of inquiry  'How We Express Ourselves'. It will be particularly powerful as we launch into this arts based unit, as it encourages students to think carefully about why something looks the way it does, or is the way it is.

The Purpose: What kind of thinking does this routine encourage?



This routine encourages students to make careful observations and thoughtful interpretations.
It helps stimulate curiosity and sets the stage for inquiry.

Today we used it by focusing on a collection of interesting images related to our current unit. This helped encourage students to further apply their new knowledge and ideas.

They were asked:
• What do you see?
• What do you think about that?
• What does it make you wonder?


On a personal note...I have just got home and have found this massive spider outside my apartment!
My photo is a bit blurry, but it looked just like the one on the right!

I see: A large spider with freaky eyes staring at me from the wall.
It has slight stripes, long legs, and isn't particularly hairy.

I think: It might be native to Cambodia.
It probably isn't dangerous...but it could be!
This may prevent me from sleeping well tonight!
If there is one spider here...then there are probably more.

I wonder: What kind of spider it is.
Which of the children in my class will be clever enough to find out for me.
How I can get rid of it without killing it...(or having to go near it!)





No comments:

Post a Comment